Sunday, July 28, 2013

Broken Children.

Relationships are hard. Commitment is stretching it. Taking it to a higher plane. Today the idea of marriage has been running constant in my mind. Not that I always think of love or happily ever after. As a matter of fact it amazes me how infrequently I think about this considering I am thought to be at 'the ripe age' of moving towards that direction. 
 
I have always thought of marriage as an institution. It simplifies relationships and it makes running errands easier. That's about it. But love is a complicated thing. Anything pertaining to the human emotion is indeed complicated and rarely simple. 

Hence I never really understood why people decide to get married. Emotions are fleeting most of the time and people stay together because it's convenient. When children come into the picture, it complicate matters even more. 

The heart is a terribly unstable entity. It wants what it wants,when it wants. That is where affairs come into the picture. The thing about affairs though, the person who suffers the most when someone in the relationship decides to have an affair is the children. 

Of course the spouse who has been cheated on would also be profoundly hurt but my heart goes out to the children. Affairs scars a child permanently. I am an idealist subconsciously. Although I would never admit this to anyone. 

When it comes to children who grow up in  broken families,my heart breaks for them. This is for various reasons. One of the saddest things  for me is that the child would lose his innocence. They would be forced to grow up way to fast. Their worldview would have a dramatic shift. Most of the time for the worse. 

This has pervasive significance in the macro level. These children would grow up to be individuals who are scared and damaged. They would make up the world in the future. It saddens me to the core to picture how our society would be like if more and more children grow up in broken families. 

Of course then there is the argument that the world is full of adversities but it is also full of possibilities to overcoming it. However overcoming it takes truckloads of introspection and a strong network of social support. How many of these children would have that kind of support and encouragement in the first place? 

The family is suppose to be the primary unit of support for a child. If that unit is already dysfunctional. Where or to whom should the child go to?



No comments:

Post a Comment