Thursday, April 14, 2011

of Human Stupidity

Last week, I came across an article about the comment made by one of the Malaysian Member of Parliament, Ibrahim Ali.
The gist of his comment is this:

  Men commit extramarital affairs because their wife's are not fulfilling their duties. Hence husbands look elsewhere to satisfy their sexual urges.

Inferring from what he said, to put it bluntly , this moron is suggesting that the fault lies on women when their husband cheat. I am not sure if i should feel enraged, amused or confused by his statement. I would not say that I am a radical feminist but putting the blame on women for their husband's transgression is something that I will not accept to say the best. I cannot begin to comprehend how can he come up with such a logic.

Being a women, I can say with confidence and conviction that if god forbids I should  find myself in such a situation, blaming myself would be the last thing I will ever do. Cheating is cheating. There is no justification for cheating and I do not think that it is very wise for an MP to make such comments.

The least a husband can do is admit their fault and ask for forgiveness. However I do not think that this is possible because of the egotistical nature of men. However having an MP justifying and defending cheating husbands is taking it to a whole new level.

What is the message that we are sending to young girls then?  That every injustice done to them are all their fault and that men are animals unable to  exercise self -restraint? Where is the respect we should confer to the women who work both at home and the work force to contribute to the economic growth of our country?

I am utterly disappointed and I am worried for the future of my country,this is not just any person making this statement. This is an MP, a representative we democratically elected in hopes of crafting a future for us  in which equality and respect can reign. Words carry a lot of weight especially when you are in a position of authority, the least he could have done is shut his mouth if he has nothing constructive to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment