Friday, December 16, 2011

Caution: Fragile

There are some moments in life that will define you, change your perspectives and sometimes even the whole foundation of your seemingly invincible world. Age has an effect on you like that. When we are young, we seem and always feel like we are unbreakable, strong and solid.  Once in a while something happens, an incident that will change that view and that feeling forever.

For me that defining moment, the conception of age does not imply that we are invincible and strong came in the form of an accident. A motorbike accident. Recently a close friend of mine got into a bike accident. He is still in the hospital today. His condition fluctuates every now and then. It is really a trying time. My friends and I are all trying to stay optimistic for his sake but also we are trying to hold it together for one another.

For a very long time now, the most important friendships in my life have been marked with immense gratitude on my side. Filled mostly with  laughter, good times and fulfilling experiences. This incident or should i say accident is the first phenomenon in my opinion that would test the depth of the friendship I have in this circle. Judging from the way things are going, without a doubt I can say for sure that I have a pretty solid group of friends.

The greatest lesson that I am able to draw from my friend's accident is about the fragility of the human condition. That at the end of the day, we are not as strong, as solid or as unbreakable as we think we are. That being young does not mean that we can and should flirt with life. As with the condition of my friend, only time will tell if  he will be able to fully recover. Hoping for the best but I take comfort in the fact that he is not alone in his struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment